Monday, August 1, 2011

Mmmmmm MYKONOS!!!! Part II

No, I didn't forget nor was I too lazy to write another post.

I didn't have internet for one week.
I freaking week without internet.

Why? Because I was in rural area in a great island called Sardinia.
And I will write about it obviously in next post,
because it was one of the most fascinating gastronomic trips I have ever taken.

Anyways, as I promised a week ago, I would like to further introduce the island of Mykonos from my point of view!! which makes this guide totally UNthorough as a travel guide. OH WELL!

So, in addition to renting a car and randomly driving around this rocky island, I highly recommend you to take a ferry and go to its neighbor island called Delos.

What's in Delos?

One of the most important archeological centers in Greece BABY!!!
Sounds geeky? Oh yes it is, you can bet your behind.

If you are familiar with Greek myth, Delos was a sacred place where Artemis and Apollo were born. 
Delos was once a center for trading and finance in Hellenistic and Roman periods.
Hence, all these ruins of ancient city remain still.
Now, after a long painful decline, no one resides in Delos island; in fact, all the tourists have to return to where they came from by 3 pm.

Mosaic in House of Dolphine

Looong looong way to get to the peak of Mount Kinthos....

Anyways, it was an interesting experience as you basically walk through the ancient city on foot. 
From the top of Kinthos, you can see how big this city once was. 
I highly recommend it for a day trip!



SOOOOO!! MOVING ON TO FOOD!!!!

What can I say, tis the most important topic.
I would like to warn you, however, the choices in Mykonos are pretty limited, 
since the island is an touristic site than anything else.

You can find pretty good food nontheless!!
Here are some dishes!

At Kounelas Fish Tavern

 I highly recommend this restaurant!!! 
They have mainly fish dishes, as the name suggests and they are fresh and delicious!
After you choose your appetizers (optional of course), you go downstairs and choose fresh fish to be grilled on the spot!! All the fish are in drawers... Interesting sight ain't it?

Fokos Taverna
They serve you fresh traditional Greek dishes. 
You have to drive to Fokos beach from main city to get to this taverna.
The photo is of lentil salad with feta, cucumber, tomatos and garlic.
They also grill fish for you on the spot but it is quite pricy compared to Kounelas.

And of course, how can we forget gyros.
It is the cheapest and the most filling meal if you are looking for wallet friendly food.
BUTTTT! I must warn you such things come with price: HEARTBURN.

There is an alternative though: crepes.
Somehow, the island has many creperies that make both sweet and savory crepes, big enough to fill you up for dinner.

Soooooo That's IT!!!!! Sorry for such an incomplete travel guide, from totally biased point of view. 
We did go to numbers other restaurants but didn't think that was great... unfortunately.
The bars are great too! As I told you in part I, nightlife is great in this island but we were too lazy and lame to go clubbing during our stay.

These two bars are our favorites though
Kastro 
(famous for being gay bar but we thought it was pretty family friendly too)
 very nice ocean view from windows!



Leonidas 
(chocolatier during the day and bar at night. 
If you are lucky they might give you free chocolate! Our favorite spot!)

Outside seatings only!

Well, I hope you guys enjoyed my lengthy and half-a$$ guide. Next post will be about gastronomic journey in rural Sardinia!! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment