Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Guess what day is February 3rd 2011????

Any guess? Any guess???
The answer is.......da da daddadada (drum roll)











It is the 82nd anniversary for the first meeting of League of Nation in 1919!!!!

JUST KIDDING!
CHINESE NEW YEAR BABYYYYYY!
Being half Taiwanese, I must go back to my maternal roots and celebrate this few thousands years olds event.


ehhh, but how am I supposed to celebrate...?
Unfortunately, I have never, yes, NEVER celebrated this special day at home.
My mother was not very event-oriented plus living in Japan, lunar new year was not too big of a deal.
I had no idea what Chinese New Year was until like 3 years ago.

SHAME YURI SHAME ON YOU!

Being a nerd and a coward to ask around how to celebrate this day,
I naturally turned to my long-time best friend.


Google.

So the great google says for Chinese New Years, people generally do the following:

Before/during New Years Eve (February 2nd 2011)
1. Clean your house, throw away all things that remind you of previous years..... that's hard. ok I'm only gonna clean.

2. Pay all debts... UGH. not doing it.

3. Buy: flowers (plums and water lilies and such), oranges/tangerines, circular candy tray(?), and new clothes for children... I will just buy oranges.

4. Get new dollar bills... I'm too lazy.

OK! It looks like I will be cleaning house and buying oranges today!

New Years Day
1. Open all doors and windows at midnight to let go of old year... IT'S FREEZING HERE GODDAMN IT

2. Eat symbolic food: Whole chicken/fish, dumplings, turnip cakes, new years cake on and on and on...Sounds awesome.

3. Give money in red envelopes to kids.... Brats, go elsewhere for money.

4. Don't wash your hair. WHAT

5. Don't use scissors/knives... it will cut you off from prosperous year...um..but i need to cut that whole chicken...

6. Wear/hang something red...I don't wear red.

7. Don't sweep floor

8.....

9...

LIST IS TOO LONG!!!! OMG-----

No wonder my mom never really did this... I understand now.
Screw this. I will just eat the food and wish for good year. period.
Dumplings and whole chicken sound like a plan to me---- yaay.

Although my mom told me Hakka people that we are (type of people who speak different language from Mandarin and have somewhat different traditions and culture, I will write about it in the future...maybe...if I feel like it) do not eat dumplings....tears... that is a northern main land china's tradition. boo.
Instead Hakka eats bamboo shoots and some other stuff.

Anyways!

To all my Chinese and non-Chinese friends and readers:

GONG XI FA CAI!!! (for translation, please google)

No comments:

Post a Comment